Saints 1-1 Rangers

Wednesday 28th December

Steven MacLean's 28th minute equaliser was enough to give Saints a well deserved point at McDiarmid Park in this Wednesday night fixture.

Rangers had opened the scoring five minute before when Barrie McKay picked up a rebound from a Joe Garner shot to beat his man and fire past Zander Clark.

To equalise MacLean pounced on a poor back pass by Rob Kiernan before rounding Wes Fotheringham and firing home.

The draw extends St. Johnstone's unbeaten run to five matches as we look forward to Hogmanay's Tayside derby away to Dundee to round off 2016.


Saints headed into Wednesday’s clash with Rangers on the back of a fine away win over Kilmarnock on Friday, and looked to build on their 1-1 draw at Ibrox earlier in the season. Tommy Wright dropped Chris Kane and Danny Swanson for Steven MacLean and Graham Cummins, as Paul Paton came in for the suspended Davidson.

Saints kicked off shooting into the North Stand, and Zander Clark was forced into an early save as Joe Garner rose highest to head at goal, but the stopped matched his effort with ease.

Clark was then forced into another, which he pulled of with aplomb to deny Kenny Miller from close range with just one hand.

Josh Windass gave the hosts an early scare crashing a long distance effort off the woodwork, however Graham Cummins was available to mop up.

Graham Cummins was denied from close range before Rangers broke and Barrie McKay scored the rebound of his initial effort to put the visitors ahead. 0-1.


But their lead was short lived as Steven MacLean capitalised on a defensive error and finished with the composure of a man who scored goals for fun to draw the hosts level before wheeling away in delight.1-1, game on.

Saints were granted another opportunity moments later as Paul Paton was bundled to the ground in a promising position, but Wotherspoon blazed the free kick over.

Saints made a change just before half time, as Scobbie replaced Alston.

The teams went in level at half time, with Tommy Wright’s side looking to take advantage of their possession in the second half. HT: St Johnstone 1-1 Rangers.

The second half started quietly, and Rangers switched Garner for Waghorn after the striker had had a difficult night thanks to Anderson and Shaughnessy.

Warburton then switched Hodson for Hill with 25 minutes remaining.

Saints then switched Millar for Liam Craig in an attempt to grab a winner.

Saints last change was to bring on top scorer Danny Swanson for Wotherspoon.

Rangers reposnded by bringing on ex-Saint Michael O’Halloran with ten to go.


But despite late efforts blasted off target by Halliday and Tavernier, both St Johnstone and Rangers failed to fashion any serious chances and the game ended level. Full time: St Johnstone 1-1 Rangers.

Saints: Clark, Alston (Scobbie, 43), Anderson, Millar (Craig, 68), MacLean, Wotherspoon (Swanson, 78), Shaughnessy, Paton, Foster, Easton, Cummins. Unused subs: Mannus, Watson, Kane, Hunter.

Goals: MacLean (27)

Rangers: Foderingham, Tavernier, Hill (Hodson, 65), Kiernan, Wilson, Garner (Waghorn, 60), Miller (O’Halloran, 80), McKay, Windass, Halliday, Holt. Gilks, Forrester, Crooks, Senderos.

Goals: McKay (23)

Attendance: 7979 Referee: Crawford Allan Man of the Match: Ricky Foster

Match Report by Ross Gardiner.