Match report: Rangers 3-2 Saints

Wednesday 1st March

Emerson Hyndman's stoppage time goal won the match for Rangers, despite Saints looking like they had done enough to earn a point after a late equalising goal from Steven Anderson.

Barrie McKay and Martyn Waghorn had put the Ibrox side 2-0 up until David Wotherspoon struck on 74 minutes before Anderson's strike with three minutes remaining.


Saints made the trip to Glasgow this evening looking to bounce back from Saturday’s disappointing 2-0 home defeat to Kilmarnock. Tommy Wright said after Saturday’s game he was going to make changes for this evening’s match and he was true to his word making four. Out went Tom Scobbie, Chris Millar, David Wotherspoon and Chris Kane and they were replaced by Keith Watson, Paul Paton, Liam Craig and Danny Swanson. Rangers also went into tonight’s encounter on the back of a defeat after going down 2-1 at Inverness CT last Friday night. Caretaker manager Graeme Murty made two changes to the team that started in the Highlands as Jason Holt and Clint Hill came in for Danny Wilson and Andy Halliday.

The home side got the match underway and they created the first chance after 3 minutes as a Martyn Waghorn strike was blocked by Steven Anderson. The ball then fell into the path of Emerson Hyndman who blasted a shot just wide of the post.

On 7 minutes Jon Toral gifted possession to Steven MacLean and the Saints striker advanced with the ball before unleashing a strike from 20 yards which went narrowly wide.

2 minutes later Rangers were awarded a free kick in an inviting position after Barrie McKay had been fouled by Anderson. The free kick was taken James Tavernier and his ball into the box was met by Toral who headed wide. Shortly after Hyndman curled an effort wide from the edge of the box after being setup by a Kenny Miller cutback.

A great through ball on 14 minutes by MacLean was latched onto by Richard Foster who then used his speed to get away from the Rangers defence however, Lee Wallace recovered well to thwart the danger.

Rangers took the lead on 22 minutes as the ball broke to McKay on the edge of the box and the Rangers attacker slotted it into the bottom corner of Zander Clark’s net.

Saints almost got an equaliser a minute later as Blair Alston latched onto a Foster lay off before curling a strike inches wide.

Some good footwork by Waghorn on 39 minutes saw him create space for himself before having a shot however, Clark was alert to the danger and made a good save. Then shortly after Toral was given too much space as he had a shot from distance although luckily for Saints it was off target.

Clark made an excellent save on 43 minutes as he tipped a Jason Holt effort behind for a corner. Then on the stroke of half time Clark again was called into action this time saving a Tavernier effort.

Saints got the second half underway and they were almost level 2 minutes after the restart as Liam Craig somehow headed wide from close range after Keith Watson had delivered a good ball into the box.

Saints were punished for that miss as Rangers doubled their lead on 49 minutes as Waghorn headed a Miller cross past Clark.

The home side continued to press and Clark did well to save an awkward Tavernier strike on 57 minutes.

Some good play on 65 minutes by Saints setup Danny Swanson whose low strike was saved by Gers keeper Wes Foderingham.

Then a minute later Hyndman weaved his way through the Saints defence before laying the ball off to Joe Garner whose strike cannoned off the post.


Saints pulled a goal back on 74 minutes as substitute David Wotherspoon, on for Danny Swanson, broke into the box before turning his man and unleashed a fantastic curling effort past Foderingham.

Then on 77 minutes the home side were reduced to ten men as defender Rob Kiernan was sent off for a very poor challenge on Graham Cummins right in front of the dugouts.

Despite being down to ten men Rangers were still a threat and on 82 minutes McKay broke down the right before crossing to Gardner who curled a strike inches wide.

With 4 minutes, remaining Saints drew level as from a corner Anderson picked up the loose ball and from 10 yards sent a great strike beyond Foderingham much to the delight of the travelling Saints support.

It was now all to play for and with 2 minutes remaining Hyndman created space before cracking an effort off Clark’s bar. However, the on-loan Bournemouth midfielder was not to be denied as deep into the 3 minutes of added on time he did well to hold off his marker before curling a good strike past Clark to win the match for the home side.

Rangers: Foderingham, Tavernier, Hill, Kiernan, Wallace, Toral (Halliday 82), Miller (Garner 64), McKay, Hyndman, Holt, Waghorn (Wilson 79) Unused Substitutes: Alnwick (GK), Forrester, Hodson, O’Halloran Booked: Hyndman Sent Off: Kiernan Scorers: McKay (22), Waghorn (49), Hyndman (90)

Saints: Clark, Alston (Cummins 6), Anderson, MacLean, Swanson (Wotherspoon 70), Shaughnessy, Paton, Foster, Watson (Coulson 82), Easton, Craig Unused Substitutes: Mannus (GK), Scobbie, Smith, Thomson Booked: Anderson, Craig, Paton Scorers: Wotherspoon (74), Anderson (87)

Referee: Kevin Clancy Attendance: 46,800

Match Report by Daryl Scott