Dundee 2-1 Saints

Saturday 21st April

A late goal from Sofien Moussa saw Dundee defeat Saints 2-1 at Dens Park this afternoon.

Moussa had given the hosts the lead after 46 seconds however, Saints fought back and their pressure finally told with 5 minutes remaining as Steven MacLean netted with a clinical finish.

However, with just 2 minutes remaining Dundee snatched all 3 points as Cammy Kerr sent a deep free kick into the box which picked out Moussa who sent a powerful header past Zander Clark.


Saints made their third trip of the season to Dens Park today as they took on Dundee for their first post-split fixture. Saints manager Tommy Wright made four changes to the side that started against Motherwell a fortnight ago. Alan Mannus and David Wotherspoon dropped to the bench whilst Murray Davidson was suspended and Chris Kane missed out due to injury. They were replaced by Zander Clark, who was now free from suspension, Chris Millar, Liam Craig and Matty Willock whilst under 20s players Ally McCann and John Robertson were on the bench. Dundee manager Neil McCann made three changes to the side that lost 4-0 to Rangers at Ibrox two weeks ago as Cammy Kerr, Paul McGowan and Craig Wighton came in for Josh Meekings, Lewis Spence and Roarie Deacon.

Dundee got the match underway in the sunshine and the hosts took the lead after 46 seconds. A Kevin Holt free kick was directed towards goal by Mark O’Hara, the ball was flicked on by Sofien Moussa to take it away from Zander Clark and then it hit the post before going into the net.

On 12 minutes a George Williams strike was saved by the feet of Elliot Parish and then a couple of minutes later a Scott Tanser shot from just outside the box went wide.

Saints were awarded a free kick on 25 minutes after Genserix Kusunga fouled Matty Willock. The free kick was taken by Liam Craig and his delivery into the box fell to Joe Shaughnessy at the back post however, the Saints captain fired well over.

Saints continued to press and on 33 minutes a Chris Millar cross was pushed over for a corner by Parish. Craig took the corner and his delivery from the right eventually broke to Willock and he did well to turn and he a shot at goal which was saved by Parish.

With 5 minutes of the first half remaining Craig Wighton’s shot from the edge of the box was deflected for a corner which was taken by Holt and his delivery into the Saints box was eventually gathered by Clark. Then on 44 minutes The Dee almost made it two as Simon Murray’s shot went inches wide of Clark’s right-hand post.

Clark had to look lively on 57 minutes as he pushed a Murray shot behind for a corner.

Saints came very close to equalising on 64 minutes as a Millar cross from the left picked out Shaughnessy in the box whose volley crashed off Parish’s bar.

The home side were awarded a free kick just outside the box on 72 minutes after Moussa had been fouled by Anderson. It was taken by Simon Murray but Clark made a good save as he pushed the ball away.

Saints then made their first change of the game a minute later as David Wotherspoon came on for Matty Willock. Then on 77 minutes Stefan Scougall made his return from injury as he came on to replace Chris Millar.

With 10 minutes remaining Moussa headed over from a McGowan free kick as the hosts looked to extend their lead.

However, with 5 minutes remaining Saints persistence paid off as Dundee failed to deal with a ball into the box and it broke to Steven MacLean who fired a crisp low shot through a crowd of defenders and into the far corner of the net.

However, there was further late drama as Dundee snatched a late winner with 2 minutes remaining. Cammy Kerr was fouled by Wotherspoon out wide on the right and the Saints midfielder was booked for the challenge. The free kick was taken by Kerr who swung a high ball into the box and Moussa rose to plant a powerful header past Clark for his and Dundee’s second of the afternoon.

Saints then made their final change of the game as 16-year-old striker John Robertson came on to make his debut to become the first player born after the year 2000 to play for Saints in a competitive game. Saints pushed for an equaliser as the match entered 3 additional minutes however, the home defence soaked up the pressure to see the game out.

Dundee: Parish, Cameron, Caulker, Kusunga, Kamara, Moussa, O’Hara, Murray (Leitch-Smith 84), McGowan, Wighton, Holt

Unused Substitutes: Ferrie (GK), O’Dea, Aurtenetxe, Wolters, Spence, Scott

Booked: Kusunga, O’Hara

Scorer: Moussa (1, 88)

Saints: Clark, Tanser, Shaughnessy, Anderson, Millar (Scougall 77), MacLean, Williams (Robertson 90), Kerr, Foster, Craig, Willock (Wotherspoon 73)

Unused Substitutes: Mannus (GK), Watson, Gordon, McCann

Booked: Willock, Shaughnessy, Wotherspoon, Williams

Scorer: MacLean (85)

Referee: Don Robertson

Attendance: 5,592

Match Report by Daryl Scott

Picture: Steven MacLean equalises