Aberdeen 0-0 Saints

Saturday 10th December

Saints and Aberdeen fought out a goalless draw at Pittodrie this afternoon infront of 11,500 supporters, despite St. Johnstone coming close to taking all three points.

Murray Davidson and substitutes Blair Alston and Graham Cummins came close to scoring before a goal-bound curling free-kick from David Wotherspoon was tipped away by Dons goalie Joe Lewis with just minutes remaining.

But St. Johnstone will be satisfied with a positive display and a point gained in Aberdeen as they look towards next Saturday's home match with Motherwell.


Looking to build on last Saturday’s 3-0 win at home to Inverness CT Saints made the trip to Pittodrie today to take on Derek McInnes’ Aberdeen. Saints made one change to the team that started against Caley Thistle as Chris Kane came in for the injured Danny Swanson. There was also a place on the bench for Keith Watson who returned to the team after being side-lined for the last couple of months with a tendon injury. The Dons also made one change to the team that started Tuesday’s 5-1 win at home against Kilmarnock as Ryan Jack came into the side to replace Shaleum Logan who dropped to the bench.

Saints got the match underway attacking the Richard Donald Stand and it was an even opening 10 minutes with neither side creating anything of significance in front of goal.

Then on 14 minutes a deep Michael Coulson cross from the left was cleared by Graeme Shinnie with David Wotherspoon looking to make a connecting with it at the back post.

Saints created a great chance to open the scoring on 19 minutes as Murray Davidson advanced with the ball before sending out wide to Steven MacLean. The Saints striker then cut the ball back across goal to Chris Kane and he knocked it on to Davidson who fired wide.

Then a minute later up the other end Peter Pawlett saw his effort deflected for a corner after being setup by James Maddison. The corner was taken by Maddison and his ball into the box found Andrew Considine who headed over.

The home side created another chance on 27 minutes as Pawlett’s dipping volley went narrowly wide.


MacLean got a good chance for Saints a minute later but Anthony O’Connor got back to turn the ball behind for a corner. The corner was taken by Liam Craig however, The Dons defence comfortably cleared the danger.

With 10 minutes of the first half remaining Saints were awarded a free kick after Coulson had been fouled by Ryan Jack. The free kick was taken by Wotherspoon who slipped the ball to Craig who had a shot at goal which took a deflection off MacLean before being gathered by Joe Lewis in the Aberdeen goal.

Shortly after Maddison went on a good run beating Craig and Coulson however; he couldn’t get past Steven Anderson who cleared the danger on the edge of the box.

Then just on the stroke of half time Richard Foster, slipped the ball out wide to the unmarked Wotherspoon and he delivered an inviting ball into the box which was cut-out by Jack.

Aberdeen made a double change at the start of the second half as Shaleum Logan and Jayden Stockley came on for Niall McGinn and Peter Pawlett.

Barely a minute after the restart the home side created a chance as Jonny Hayes created space for himself in the box before turning and having a shot at goal which was saved by Zander Clark.

The Dons created another chance on 52 minutes as Maddison’s strike was deflected for a corner. The on-loan Norwich City midfielder took the corner and his ball into the box found Kenny McLean whose header was straight at Clark.

Saints then made a couple of changes as Blair Alston and Graham Cummins were introduced into the action and the substitutes created a chance on 73 minutes as Craig’s free kick eventually broke to Alston in the box who crossed to Cummins however, his volley went over the bar.

Saints created another chance a minute later as MacLean’s long distance strike was tipped over for a corner by Lewis.


With 10 minutes, remaining Alston got a great chance to open the scoring as he took advantage of a poor back pass by Shinnie however, his effort went inches wide of Lewis’ right-hand post.

Saints came very close to scoring on 88 minutes as Wotherspoon’s curling free kick hit the post. Wotherspoon had another strike at goal as the match entered 3 minutes of stoppage time however, his effort went wide as both teams settled for a point.

Man of the Match: Murray Davidson

Aberdeen: Lewis, Shinnie (Burns 88), Considine, McLean, Rooney, McGinn (Logan 45), Hayes, O’Connor, Pawlett (Stockley 45), Jack, Maddison Unused Substitutes: Alexander, Taylor, Reynolds, Storey Booked: McLean

Saints: Clark, Anderson, Davidson, MacLean, Wotherspoon, Shaughnessy, Coulson (Alston 68), Foster, Easton, Kane (Cummins 71), Craig Unused Substitutes: Mannus (GK), Scobbie, Millar, Watson, McLaren Booked: Davidson, Kane, MacLean Referee: Kevin Clancy Attendance: 11,501

Match Report by Daryl Scott